"You will be a better mom because you are a theologian, and a better theologian because you are a mom."

Is it true? In this blog, I explore the interplay and intersection of motherhood and theologianhood.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Falling out of bed...

Now that I've been a parent for nearly six years, you'd think that I'd be getting better and better at this job. And really, I have to say that it does feel much easier than it used to. But every once in awhile, I get a good reminder that there's just no perfection in parenting: there's no "balance" between being myself, being a wife, and being a mom. I just am.

So last night someone fell out of bed.

ME.

This is how it happened. I stayed up a little too late reading an Austen novel on the iPad. Shortly after I had finally fallen asleep with Patrick cuddled up next to me, Jeff came into the bedroom to ask me if I could talk to Eva, who felt very sick and was in the bathroom crying for Mommy. So he got into bed with Patrick and I stumbled, half-asleep, to the bathroom. Eva was on the toilet, but done with her business, so I took her back to bed and laid down with her in her twin. I fell asleep instantly and unintentionally.

An hour or so later, I heard Patrick making some noise... it seemed he was crying or something, so I reached out for him (thinking I was on our King bed) and THUMP! rolled right off the bed, bumping my head on Maia's mattress. Ouch!

I woke up this morning with a bump and a scrape on my forehead, and a resolution not to stay up late reading. It's been quite some time since I fell out of bed. Live and learn.

No comments: