"You will be a better mom because you are a theologian, and a better theologian because you are a mom."

Is it true? In this blog, I explore the interplay and intersection of motherhood and theologianhood.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Six Years and Counting...

"Ah, m'ija," said Padre Juan, "It's the same old story. Girl meets boy. Girl falls in love with boy. Girl thinks boy is perfect. Girl marries boy. Girl realizes that the only perfect man is Jesus."

These were the words of one of the priests at my parish in California when I informed him that I had met someone who I thought was "the one." He had such a sad look on his face when he said it, too, as though I had announced the death of a family member, rather than the advent of true love.

Over the years, I have mused on his words. Undoubtedly true, even if I didn't want to hear them at that moment. I've repeated those words to myself in moments of frustration. Jeff and I have laughed over them at times, especially relating the story to other people.


But despite the inevitable shortcomings Jeff and I have noticed in each other, it's been a very good six years... and it just keeps getting better.

I think Padre Juan would be happy to hear that.

No comments: