"You will be a better mom because you are a theologian, and a better theologian because you are a mom."

Is it true? In this blog, I explore the interplay and intersection of motherhood and theologianhood.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Shameless Alumna?

Football season is upon us. And since I married the one man in country with absolutely no interest in (or knowledge of) football, I've had to inflict any of my remaining interest on my girls. In fact, since I started doctoral work, I've seen only a handful of football games (which is probably for the best, given the spotty performances...and the need for me to get my academic work done on Saturdays). But when the air gets that crisp fall feeling, and I'm out walking on a quiet Saturday morning... it's hard not to think of football. Last Saturday, on the way home from morning Mass as a family, I beat Jeff to his customary line: "Well, it's Saturday: should we sing a hymn in honor of our Lady?" After I asked the question, I burst into a rousing rendition of the Notre Dame fight song, in which I was joined by Maia. Jeff either grimaced or smiled; I'm not sure which it was. I felt a little guilty afterwards about replacing the Salve Regina with the Fight Song (which is not properly a Marian hymn) and so I proceeded to sing the Alma Mater as well (which is much more ambiguous and could possibly suffice).


video

Notre Dame may have become a corrupt institution (I don't know, I'm not making any accusations, I'm just saying it's possible). And the football team may be contributing to a sort of moral bankruptcy (I don't know, I'm not making any accusations, I'm just saying it's possible). But doesn't Maia do a great job of singing the Fight Song? The above is not her usual version; I think she just got excited in front of the camera and wanted to be a little bit more creative.

No comments: