"You will be a better mom because you are a theologian, and a better theologian because you are a mom."

Is it true? In this blog, I explore the interplay and intersection of motherhood and theologianhood.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Big Girl!

I was afraid to post anything on this prematurely, but it now appears that Eva is finally potty-trained! As I mentioned in another post, she started potty-training herself at about 17 months. Some people might think that's great, but it seemed to us she wasn't really ready for it, not to mention we had a lot of traveling (like to Italy) where we just couldn't be focused on getting her to a toilet in time.

Well, once we were back for good and settled into a schedule, she became more consistent. Then when Nana and Grandpa showed up with new undies for her, she decided to make the switch permanent. She sometimes gets her undies a little bit wet, but for the last week she's been in undies (except at night).
The sleeping isn't going so well, as she wakes up needing to go to the bathroom and then doesn't fall back asleep or makes Dad take her repeatedly to the bathroom without actually going. We've been limiting liquids in the evening, but we're still having some rough nights.

Eva's still nursing, although infrequently, and I am a little worried about her adjustment to being a big sister. If the beginning of the summer was marked by Maia and Eva playing joyfully together, the end of the summer has been marked by Maia and Eva fighting endlessly. Eva in particular finally picked up on all the mean things Maia would do to her. In the shopping cart at Costco today, Eva was pulling Maia's hair and hitting her (for no reason, I might add). Then a couple of days ago she was jumping on the mini-trampoline in the basement (while I was on the treadmill) and shouting "Stupid Maia! Stupid Maia! Stupid Maia!" Maia told me it hurt her feelings, but when I asked her where Eva might have learned to call people stupid, she knew it was from her. But Maia still insisted (probably rightly) that I ask Eva to stop.

Eva seems to be eager to expand this treatment of her big sister to her little brother. A few nights ago, when I was doing some bedtime reading, she playfully bit my belly and yelled, "I bite baby Patrick!!!" So he's not even born, and she's already biting him.

Well, that might not keep up. Just a few days ago, Maia decided (obviously without our permission) to "let Eva know how it feels," and she bit Eva's forearm, where there is still a bruise. That put an abrupt end to Eva's time-out and put Maia in the time-out chair instead. (Thank goodness Maia is now back at pre-school. I think they'll be getting along better now.) And, actually, I don't think Eva has bitten Maia since.
But I've been thinking how it's really a funny thing with child spacing... I probably would have liked my first two a bit closer together, but with the doctoral studies (and accompanying financial hardship) it would not have been prudent. My mom (who was the fourth of four born in four years' time), has always talked about each kid getting their own "babyhood." Maia definitely got that. But, actually, so did Eva. She's not a baby anymore. She's potty-trained, she's extremely verbal, she's very social, very active, very coordinated, and so on. It's hard to know what your older kid will be like nine months from when you conceive. One thing that's clear is that they'll be nine months farther from babyhood, and that's a good thing to remember.
Really, doesn't Eva look old in these pictures?

No comments: