"You will be a better mom because you are a theologian, and a better theologian because you are a mom."

Is it true? In this blog, I explore the interplay and intersection of motherhood and theologianhood.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Did Mary run?


(Here's Mary doing something that I do too as a mother... unsurprisingly there are no images of her running.)

On the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, I was taking advantage of Grandpa and Nana's treadmill when Maia joined me in the basement and hopped on the elliptical stepper. "Hi, Mom," she said, "I think I'm going to do some exercise."

"Good idea," I panted.

She looked over at me sweating and running and a thoughtful look came upon her.

"Did Mary run?" she asked me.

What a great question for the feast... I paused in praying my Rosary (ah, middle-class asceticism!) and as I continued running I thought about what I could say in answer... I was thinking back to the historical time period and Mary's cultural background and thought it fairly certain that Mary probably wasn't a runner, though no doubt an excellent walker.

"She probably ran when she was a little girl, but after that I'm not sure." I told Maia.

And as I went back to my Rosary, I mused about why I'm so OCD about something that was unnecessary for the sanctity of the Blessed Virgin. I strive to be a mother like she was a mother, but sometimes the difference in time and culture is brought out by the questions of a three-year old, who can make the celestial seem oh, so practical and real.

No comments: