"You will be a better mom because you are a theologian, and a better theologian because you are a mom."

Is it true? In this blog, I explore the interplay and intersection of motherhood and theologianhood.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Busy Girl



After several attempts, two days in a row, to get Maia to let me read to her, write with her, color with her, or generally speaking, just play with her, I finally talked to her about it.

TM: "Maia, you seem so busy lately - too busy to read with me. Why is it you're so busy?"

M: "Well, first of all, I have to take care of my children. That takes a lot of time you know. Then, I have to play with my dolls."

(Side note - Wait, aren't those two things the same???)

M:"Then I always have artwork to do. Then I also have all my homework. So I just don't have much free time. Sorry, Mom." (Of course, she doesn't have homework. She's only three!)

Later, Eva woke up prematurely from her nap and I rocked her back to sleep downstairs. Maia took a break from putting her children down to bed to confront me.

M: "Mom, what are you doing?!"

TM: "I'm just sitting here with Eva because she fell asleep on me, and I'm afraid she'll wake up if I move."

M: "Well, she won't. You need to go put her down in her crib upstairs so you can get back to your cooking."

TM: "Really, you think she'll stay asleep?"

M: "Yes. Come on, you have work to do."

TM: "Thanks, Maia."

(And yes, Eva stayed asleep in her crib in time for me to finish preparing my turkey wild rice mushroom soup.)

No comments: