"You will be a better mom because you are a theologian, and a better theologian because you are a mom."

Is it true? In this blog, I explore the interplay and intersection of motherhood and theologianhood.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Seat of Wisdom


In one of my earliest posts, I wrote about Mary as the Seat of Wisdom, and how this is such a powerful image for any theologian mom. Since then, I've kept Mary, Seat of Wisdom as a particular patron. It is interesting to me that we often associate wisdom with age, but this image seems to subvert that. Mary, whose lap was the seat of the child Jesus, was the seat of Wisdom. The image of a young mother as the seat of wisdom also attests to the words of Scripture: "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom like a little child will never enter it" (Mk 10:15).

There is a real wisdom in childhood - a sense of wonderment, excitement, energy, exhaustion, and love - a truly full expression of life and enjoyment of all of God's gifts. We seem to lose this childlike humility with age, but being around children and exposed to their wisdom can help!

No comments: