"You will be a better mom because you are a theologian, and a better theologian because you are a mom."

Is it true? In this blog, I explore the interplay and intersection of motherhood and theologianhood.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Giving Away God's Gifts



(While raking leaves)

M: Mom, here's a beautiful leaf for you. I know you say that when God gives you a beautiful gift, it's good to give it away. I found this pretty leaf, but I'm giving it to you. Isn't that good?



TM: Yes, Maia, that's great. And it is a beautiful leaf.

M: See, I'm not like that girl at the park yesterday.

TM: Which girl? The one named Zinia? Why?

M: Yes, Zinia. She found a beautiful green hair rubberband at the park. I kept telling her that she should give it to me because God wants you to give gifts away, but she didn't want to give it to me. After I explained to her a few times, I finally convinced her that the good thing was to give it to me. That's how I got to take it home from the park.

TM: Perhaps we need to have a more extensive conversation about giving away God's gifts... it's not something you say to try to get someone to give something to you...

M: But I REALLY wanted it!

1 comment:

2009.Dayton said...

Too funny! Good luck with that conversation!

ML