"You will be a better mom because you are a theologian, and a better theologian because you are a mom."

Is it true? In this blog, I explore the interplay and intersection of motherhood and theologianhood.

Monday, September 14, 2009

What Maia Wants to Learn in Pre-School

Tomorrow is Maia's first day of pre-school. Actually, it's just an hour-long orientation, with parents and kids. Maia will be doing a two-mornings a week program, from 9-11:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She is really excited. She still misses all her pals from Dayton, and I think this will be a great way for her to make friends. It might help me too.

The preschool is right down the street from us - about a five minute walk from our house. It's housed at and hosted by a Methodist church. I'm feeling very ecumenical, letting my daughter go to preschool in a Methodist church. That never would have been acceptable in the 50s. When we went to look at the school, I asked a question regarding the Christian content of the preschool. The director told me it basically consists of a prayer before snacktime and some generic Christian songs here and there. I got the impression that she thought I was secular and worried my child might actually end up believing in Jesus.

But of course, what I was really worried about was that someone might tell Maia that the saints aren't real and that Catholics are idolatrous for praying to Mary. I almost told the director, "As long as no one's anti-Catholic, there shouldn't be a problem." I think it will be ok, even though Jeff reminded me that "generic Christian" basically means "Protestant." (In case Catholics didn't learn that from the public school battles in this country...)

This morning Maia and I filled out an information sheet for her teacher. Maia colored in the dog and then answered the questions. I duly recorded her responses, which I now provide here for the reader's edification.

Favorite color: white and pink.
Favorite food: macaroni and cheese and peas.
Favorite toy: Baby Lucy (her doll).
Favorite movie: The Last Unicorn.
Siblings: Eva.
What I want to learn at preschool: How exactly Jesus came alive again.

Forget reading, writing, coloring, and so on.

Maia just wants to know the mechanics of the resurrection.

Looks like she's in for a lifetime of learning, just like her folks.

3 comments:

Jana Bennett said...

Her favorite food is the same as Lucia's!

Mr. Bojangles said...

Hey Maria - Coleman sent me here and I'm excited to find you! He said to tell you that Methodists are far too nice to tell anyone anything like that. As a former Methodist, I guess he'd know. Now, he didn't say they wouldn't think it - he just said no one would say it. But hey, if Methodists can turn out a Coleman, they can't be all bad, can they? -Jordan (since you may not know who "Mr. Bojangles is!)

Theologian Mom said...

Good to hear from you Jordan! Glad you found me in the blogosphere. And thanks for your two comments. Hope VA is going well and that Cora is growing closer to God each day!