"You will be a better mom because you are a theologian, and a better theologian because you are a mom."

Is it true? In this blog, I explore the interplay and intersection of motherhood and theologianhood.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Theologian Couple Competition

Because Jeff and I are not really in the same areas of theology, we rarely find ourselves competing. We did take one class together, and technically we share the U.S. Catholic concentration. But while I'm more of a 20th century, moral theology type, he's more the 17th century, history of biblical interpretation type.

Recently, I submitted a panel for an international conference in ethics. Jeff applied too, just for the heck of it, thinking that if we were to go, he'd only get funding from his institution if he was also presenting.

In a bit of a surprise, his proposal was accepted, whereas my panel was rejected! To be honest, we were both a little disconcerted. He doesn't even do moral theology! But I guess if he presents, we'll both still go. After all, I'm not letting my husband go off for a vacation in Europe while I stay home.

He wins this one, and good for him. :) One less paper for me to write!

2 comments:

Gary and Melinda said...

Oh, you Academics - looking for those international conferences! Gary does the same thing (and, consequently, is going to Glasgow, Scotland, without me in Sept!).

Jana Bennett said...

That is the benefit of marrying a philosopher - though we have competitions of a different sort: my guy (Augustine) is better than your guy (Descartes). (Well, obviously...)