"You will be a better mom because you are a theologian, and a better theologian because you are a mom."

Is it true? In this blog, I explore the interplay and intersection of motherhood and theologianhood.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Little Miss Mischief

Today at lunch I told Maia that if she ate her food and was good, she could have a (Girl Scout) cookie when she was done. She, however, decided to throw a stuffed animal directly in her sister's face. I sent her to her room while I tried to calm the sobbing babe.

When I went into her room after Eva recovered, Maia was still begging for a cookie. But my answer remained a firm "no." Finally Maia gave up on asking.

"Mom," she said, "I won't do that again."

"Oh?" I asked.

"Yes, next time I will throw the elephant in Eva's face AFTER I've eaten my cookie."

Shortly thereafter, I was changing Eva's diaper and Maia needed to use the bathroom. As I was snapping up Eva's outfit, Maia walked out, minus a couple of clothing items. "Mom, she said, I need some new pants and undies. The others got wet."

"What do you mean they got wet?"

"Well, I was trying to go like a boy, standing up, and, well, they got wet."

I peeked in the bathroom to see a mini-flood in the corner by her potty. And I was very angry. And I did not hide it. Part of what makes this frustrating is that she's tried the whole boy-act at least once before, and it didn't work then either. Maybe she thinks she just needs to practice more?

I sure hope not.

2 comments:

katie albritton said...

Toddlers really know how to push the limits. At least my 3 year old certainly does. The challenge is setting boundaries in an attached loving way. Best wishes with your little ones.

By the way we are having a baby carrier give away at La Stella Blu. Email me at katie (at) lastellablu (dot) com if you are interested.

skperkins said...

Wow, she's just pushing ALL your buttons, isn't she? Ego strength in a child is a two-edged sword . . . a precious gift, but one that takes some real molding. From her perspective, Maia has been at the center of your lives and now she's got to share that spot with her sister. It's her own Lenten conversion opportunity. My prayers are with you!