"You will be a better mom because you are a theologian, and a better theologian because you are a mom."

Is it true? In this blog, I explore the interplay and intersection of motherhood and theologianhood.

Monday, November 3, 2008

For Whom Will Theologian Mom Vote?

Awhile back, I decided to poll blog readers about my voting preference for this year's presidential election. One of my officemates teased me about being vain for having such a poll, but I just wanted to see where people thought I stood politically on the basis of my posts. The results of the poll indicate McCain with a 2-1 edge over Obama (14-7, or 53% and 26%). Three people (God bless 'em!) said I'd vote for CDF head William Levada. Such a write-in would be somewhat pointless, not only because there's no chance he would win, but also because it's against canon law for a bishop to serve in such a political office.

But I am honestly a little surprised that people picked McCain as my choice. Apparently my politically liberal upbringing in a staunchly Democrat household doesn't come through in my writing. Or perhaps it's just clear that theologically I'm not a "liberal" and people think that this means I'm politically conservative.

Anyway, the correct answer is that I'm not voting in this election (even after going to all the trouble of finally changing my registration from Iowa to Ohio!). It's the first presidential election that I'm sitting out. But I honestly can't bring myself to vote for either candidate.

The Catholic debates surrounding this election have been quite nasty for my taste. Today I received an email from my aunt telling me that her parish priest told them it was a "mortal sin" to vote for Obama (see very bottom of hyperlink). The Archbishop of Kansas City, meanwhile, told Catholic radio listeners that were planning on voting for Obama to "consider the eternal salvation of their souls." Now I certainly don't think that voting is an amoral act, but in the grand scheme of things, such emphasis on voting seems unwarranted in the face of countless moral decisions we make each day, every day inbetween the four years that we vote in presidential elections.

For a plethora of descriptions surrounding the election debate in Catholic circles, scroll through my primary news source, that is, Rocco Palmo's blog.